Saturday, September 12, 2020

Early Rider Seeker 14: Balance Bike Conversion

To continue from the introduction of the Early Rider Seeker 14 kids bike, here are some more details of the bike. Also, I will be converting it to a balance bike for now, to ease the transition from the balance bike to a pedal bike.

For a kid to try a pedal bike for the first time, it is a daunting task. Not only that, the bike will be different from their previous balance bike, so the learning curve is very steep. If they don't enjoy the process, they will tend to lose interest. So, I want to make it easier for my kid, by converting the Seeker 14 to a balance bike for now, to make it more similar to his previous Strider 12 Sport Balance Bike.

Before doing the conversion, let's take a closer look at the hub axles. It is a rather unique setup as the hubs are threaded internally, with bolts that fix the hubs onto the fork and frame. This is different from the usual quick release axle type (diameter 5 mm through hole on the hub) or the threaded hub axle type (bolted on with axle nuts on the outside of the frame).

Bolts are used to secure the front hub to the fork. Otherwise, the fork has a standard dropout shape.

Rear hub is also secured to the dropout with bolts on both sides. The whole dropout can slide forward and backward to tension the belt.

Bottom view of the rear dropout. The dropout is just a standard QR dropout, but the hub is special as it is threaded internally.

The rear belt sprocket is fixed onto the rear freehub body, on what seems to be the standard Shimano freehub splines. There is a black spacer for proper chain/belt line alignment with the front chain ring.

To convert the Seeker 14 to a balance bike, I need to remove the crankset, so that it does not get in the way when the kid pushes the bike along with his feet. This is also the reason why I did not install the pedals previously, as I already had the intention to convert it to a balance bike first.

Crank arm bolt removed from the crank arm. Looks like a standard M8 bolt used for square taper or Octalink cranksets.

Crank arm bolt threads into the hole on the spindle. This looks to be an ISIS drive with 10 splines.

For this kind of crank and spindle, a crank puller is necessary to remove the crank arms. The Octalink tool will work for ISIS cranks as well.

With both crank arms removed, the spindle is actually just a standalone part that is not fixed to either crankarms. First time I have seen this type of design, as one side is usually permanently fixed to the crank arm.

Parts of the crankset. Note the wave washer that goes onto the non-drive side, between the crank arm and the bottom bracket, to put pre-load on the bearings.

With the bottom bracket shell cleaned, it looks to be of the standard English threaded type. To be studied in more detail in the next blog post.

After removing the crankset successfully, the belt also needs to be removed from the frame. There is a split in the rear triangle, to allow the belt to be removed. Same concept as the Fabike C3, which has a split right side seat stay.

The frame does not really open up a lot, so it was difficult to remove the belt through the small opening. It takes a lot of careful but firm action to prevent damage to the frame or the belt.

The belt has been removed from the frame! Note the bolt that connects the seat stay to the rear dropout area.

Next, I wanted to remove the rear belt sprocket as well, as it is not necessary as a balance bike. After removing the rear wheel, I found that I did not have the tools to remove the sprocket. Although there is a lock ring that accepts a standard lock ring tool, I was not able to hold the rear sprocket in order to loosen the lock ring.

Normally for a cassette, a chain whip is used to hold the cassette in place, so that the lock ring can be loosened. However, since this is a belt sprocket, a proper belt tool is needed to hold the sprocket. As the lock ring was really tight, I had no safe way to hold the sprocket while loosening the lock ring. Therefore, I decided to just leave the rear sprocket in place, since it only adds weight but does not affect the function as a balance bike.

It has a standard lock ring, but a special tool is needed to hold the belt sprocket in place, if you want to loosen the lock ring.

Here it is, a modified version of the Early Rider Seeker 14, balance bike edition.

With this conversion, the drivetrain has been removed, making it a balance bike with brakes. I think it is a good move, to let my kid try a balance bike with brakes. This will allow him to learn braking, while still being familiar with the idea of riding a balance bike.

Later on, once he is ready, I can reinstall the drivetrain and make it a proper pedal bike again. It may seem pointless to get an expensive kids bike, just to make it a balance bike again (like the Strider 12). However, he was already outgrowing the Strider, plus I wanted to help him transit over to a pedal bike. This balance bike conversion is a temporary intermediate step, between a basic balance bike and a full pedal bike.

With the drivetrain removed, this balance bike is now just 4.9 kg. For comparison, the Strider 12 balance bike weighs just 2.9 kg.

Although this bike is heavier than the Strider by 2 kg, I think it is not such a big difference, as it can also help my kid get used to handling a heavier and bigger bike.

From my observation, he can still handle this 4.9 kg balance bike, although not as easily as the 2.9 kg Strider 12. I can't imagine how a 3-4 year old kid can handle an 8+ kg bike properly, it would be very tough indeed.

Lastly, on an unrelated note, I found that the stem installation on this bike was not correct. As shown below, the stem should clamp fully on the steerer tube, with no unsupported clamping area.

Original condition, with the stem protruding above the steerer tube. The clamping forces are not fully supported by the steerer tube.

The proper way is to put a spacer above the stem, so that 100% of the stem clamping area is on the steerer tube.

The balance bike conversion is successful, and now we have a balance bike with full set of brakes and a larger geometry. The idea is to let my kid get used to riding this bike around as a balance bike, and learn how to brake with brake levers, instead of using the shoe on the ground.

Once he is used to the operation and feel of the bike, the drivetrain can go back on the bike, to make it a normal pedal bike.

12 comments:

  1. Hey, would you be able to remove the rear sprocket. I would like to see what the connection to the hub looks like. I want to make a similar drive and I do not have access to see this solution live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned above, I don't have the tools to remove the sprocket.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I'm about to do this exact same thing for my son who is 3 in a couple of weeks for the same reasons. Are you doing anything to protect the bottom bracket threads and the bottom bracket itself? I'm considering machining some plugs to protect it. How old is your child? I'm worried mine will outgrow the 14" too quickly, I'm not overly concerned as I have a 6 month old daughter to get better value out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My child is 4 years old. I don't think need to protect the BB threads.

      Delete
  3. Hi Steve, great post as usual!

    What is your son's inseam at 4 years old? I'm considering the same bike for my soon to be 3 year old daughter as a next bike after her 12'' Charger balance bike.

    She is quite tall and has already 41cm inseam and I just upgraded her seat and seatpost combo because of this. The original seatpost which is the same as yours is only 195 cm long, it is the only weak point of this line of bikes along with the tiny hard seat with no rails. I'm wondering if I just go straight to the 16" Seeker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 16 inch bike would be too tall for 3 year old. Even now at 5 years old he is still OK on the 14 inch bike.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried putting the early rider bike on any bike trainer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, don't think it will fit anyway. The wheel is too small and the rear hub is too narrow.

      Delete
  5. I think you will find that stem is perfectly fine. The gap is for pre-load and the recommendation is always around 3mm.
    I was trying to find some info on removing the rear sprocket.. seems to be no information anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect manual for the conversion. I just didi the same thing for my soon to be 3 yo son. He was very happy when he got the bike but was a bit hesitant to start riding it. I think the transition from a 12" brakeless balance bike (moustache mercredi) is a bit too much for a kid this young - new geo, bigger weight, brakes + the pedals. After removing the drivetrain he hopped on it right away! I was a bit scared to remove the belt tbh but it edned up just fine. I just dont get why to remove the BB (other than a small weight saving). I have all the tools but dont see it as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you remove the belt? Do you just pry open the frame with your hands and ask someone else to help pull the belt out?

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!