Friday, February 19, 2021

Focus Paralane: Seat Post and Di2 Battery

The Focus Paralane comes with its own seat post, which is quite usual nowadays if you buy a frameset. For example, the Cervelo Aspero frameset that I bought also has a seat post included.

On this Focus Paralane, the seat post size is an uncommon 25.4 mm diameter, which is yet another quirk of this frameset. Most road bike frames use a seat post of diameter of 27.2 mm, or their own proprietary aero seat post.

From my experience, I would need a seat post with zero setback, but this frame only comes with an offset seatpost. It is very hard to find a good carbon seat post with a diameter of 25.4 mm, so I shall use this first.

Carbon seat post of diameter 25.4 mm, included with the Focus Paralane.

There is a big cutout for dampening bumps, which gives it a very unique look.

There is a pretty big setback, which I understand is necessary for the flexing and damping to work. However, geometry wise it is not ideal for me.

The saddle rail clamps are pretty solid, with a long clamping area that is friendly to carbon saddle rails. I like this clamp design, but not the setback seat post.

This carbon seat post is actually made by BBB, with a length of 340 mm.

If you look carefully, there is a groove on the inside of the seat post, for the internal circlip.

This is where the Di2 internal battery will go! This seat post is designed to accept a Di2 internal battery, if you choose to run a Di2 drivetrain.

Weighs 200 grams exactly. Pretty lightweight, I have no complains about this weight.

Internal diameter of the seat post is about 18.6 mm, which is designed to fit the Di2 internal battery.

These are the parts that usually come with the Di2 internal battery, but rarely used.

If you ever wondered what those two semi-circular plastic pieces are for, it is to wrap around the Di2 battery.

There are also a few spring washers and a circlip for fixing the Di2 battery into the seat post.

Normally, for seat posts of larger diameter, a rubber plug is used to fit the Di2 internal battery inside the seat post. These spring washers and semi-circular plastic pieces will never be used. Example shown is from the Fabike C3.

I found that on this Focus Paralane seat post, the Di2 battery can actually go in too far, if you are not careful. A properly designed seat post would control the depth of the hole exactly, so that the spring washers can be installed. However, in this case there is no depth control.

Tying some string between the Di2 battery and the Di2 wire, in case I need to fish out the Di2 battery.

In case the Di2 battery goes too far in, I can use the string to pull it out from the seat post. That's the theory anyway.

Also tying a loop of string around the Di2 wire, in case the Di2 wire drops inside the seat tube, I can also use the string to fish it out.

As for the circlip, I found a tool that is specially used to install or remove circlips.

The small pins at the end of the tool can be used to hold and compress the circlip, before installing them. Much better than using pliers.

With the Di2 internal battery installed, and the circlip inserted to stop the Di2 battery falling out. Nothing to stop it going further in though.

The two pieces of semi-circular plastic shown earlier wraps around the Di2 battery snugly. Surprisingly, it fits perfectly into the seat post! It is just tight enough to prevent the Di2 battery from sliding down, which hopefully means it will not go deeper inside as well.

Adding a Fizik seat post ring to minimize water from entering the seat tube.

A layer of clear plastic is used to cover the gap at the back of the seat tube, to prevent water getting into the seat tube.

With a big setback, I have to push the saddle all the way forward, to place the knee over the pedal spindle.

As shown from the picture above, I have to compensate for the seat post offset by pushing the saddle rails all the way forward. Even so, it is not enough to get my preferred saddle fore-aft position. The seat post setback is too much, which messes up my riding geometry.

The saddle position is about 10 to 15 mm too far back, which is not that much, but something I can feel. Until I can find a suitable 25.4 mm seat post, I will have to make do with this stock seat post for now. Once again, another quirk of this Focus Paralane frameset that I will have to live with.

The more I write about this bike, the more I wondered: Why did I accept so many drawbacks on this bike? 

1 comment:

  1. The more I write about this bike, the more I wondered: Why did I accept so many drawbacks on this bike?
    Cognitive dissonance

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!