Sunday, May 5, 2024

Bestrider Pump Pro 20: Frameset, Handlebar, Seatpost, Saddle

It's time to disassemble the Bestrider Pump Pro 20, before starting the modifications! As there are some  stock components that are pretty good, I will be reusing them. As for the other parts which do not meet my requirements, I will swap them out for something better.

Bike frameset with most of the components removed!

Only the aluminium frame left!

Frame weight is 1370 grams, with one headset bearing. It was stuck and I could not remove both to weigh.

Using sealed headset bearings, which is much nicer than loose ball bearings.

Aluminium front fork, with the super tall crown and large width.

Front fork is 507 grams, which is pretty heavy. It can be lighter as proven by the Fnhon front fork.

Stock super short stem weighs 85 grams.

Stock stem length is just 35 mm, which is like a MTB stem.

Lightweight carbon headset spacers weigh 8 grams.

Freshly cleaned and ready for new components to be installed!

As mentioned in the earlier post, the stock riser handlebar is too wide and too high. Therefore, I will be changing to a straight handlebar that is also narrower.

On the previous Bestrider Pump Pro 16, I got a new carbon handlebar in the preferred width, so that I don't need to cut it myself. However, for this new handlebar, I could not find a stock handlebar that comes in the preferred width, so I need to cut it to the correct length myself.

New carbon handlebar with a width of 580 mm

After cutting to the preferred width of 520 mm, the weight of the carbon handlebar is 131 grams. 

I used a very general formula to calculate the ideal handlebar width. Based on this guide, the handlebar width should be about 0.44 of the rider's height. This gives a handlebar width of 520 mm. The weight is pretty OK but there are lighter ones available. The one I used on the Birdy is just 107 grams for 580 mm width. Not sure why this one is significantly heavier, probably because I got a cheaper one.

As mentioned in the first post, the stock seat post and saddle is pretty bad, which is why I have to change them. 
Stock saddle and suspension seat post! Let's see how much they weigh.

Saddle is only 185 grams which is light, but that it because it does not have saddle rails for adjustment.

Stock suspension seat post is heavy at 408 grams, despite the short length.

The saddle and seat post which I got for the Bestrider Pump Pro 16 was good, which is why I decided to get another set for this bike.

Stock carbon seat post of 350 mm length before cutting. Diameter is 27.2 mm.

As the seat post length is too long to insert into the bike frame, I had to cut 60 mm to ensure it can fit at the lowest saddle position. Weight is 203 grams after cutting.

One more SDG Fly Junior saddle for the new bike!

Blue colour was chosen to match the new bike frame

Weight of 260 grams, which is pretty heavy considering the smaller kids size.

The weight of the original saddle + suspension seat post is 185 + 408 = 593 grams. Changing to the new SDG saddle and carbon seat post is 259 + 203 = 462 grams, a savings of about 130 grams.

There are other new components for the Bestrider Pump Pro 20 kids bike, they will be introduced in the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!