Sunday, November 29, 2020

Fnhon Gust: Frame

A new bike project offers the opportunity to learn new things. In this case, building a 16 inch bike up from scratch is new to me, as I have only assembled 20 inch 406 and 451 bikes previously.

As this 16 inch frameset is new to me, there will be inevitable mistakes made during the assembly, such as finding out that some parts don't match, or a wrong specification is used. Nevertheless, I am confident of solving these problems using the experience that I have from building up many different bikes previously. 

What we have here is a 16 inch Fnhon Gust frameset, which is an interesting frame. First of all, it has a unique geometry, with a large chainstay and no distinct seatstay. Instead, it has a couple of braces in place to reinforce the joint between the chainstay and the seat tube.

This is a steel frame, which means that it is likely to be heavier than an equivalent aluminium frameset, but of course also tougher. My one and only steel frame was the Dahon Boardwalk, which started me on the bike modification route. It is not ideal to make a lightweight bike using a steel frameset, as it is usually heavier than an aluminium frameset. However, for this project the priority is not to minimize the weight.

Let's take a closer look at the frame and see what makes it so special.

Black frame with gold accents! Reminds me of the Dahon Boardwalk with lots of gold bling.

Frameset comes with seatpost clamp and seatpost shim included.

Steel head tube. Looks pretty round to me, unlike the Crius AEV20 which I worked on previously.

Uses a standard Litepro headset. Black is the chosen colour here, although gold would work well too.

Headset bearing cups pressed in with a proper headset press. No difficulty here.

There are metallic flakes mixed into the paint, which looks amazing! Looks similar to the metallic look seen on the Cervelo Aspero frameset.

Fnhon logo embossed on the headtube in an attractive gold colour.

The model name is also painted onto the frame in a shiny gold font.

More details about the frame painted at the back of the seat tube. This gives the frame a really attractive classic look.

Gold plated folding lever? Not sure if it is real gold plating or not.

Gold bands painted on the chainstays as well.

Rear derailleur dropout is welded to the frame, instead of being a separate piece. As it is made of steel, it can be bent back to straight without cracking.

Lots of cable guides at the bottom of the frame, which is good for cable routing flexibility.

More cable guides!

Frame (inclusive of headset bearing races) is 2417 grams.

A pair of the headset bearing races that are pressed into the headtube weighs 16 grams.

The frame weight, excluding any headset parts, but inclusive of seat post clamp and seat post shim is 2401 grams, which is the same as the larger 20 inch Dahon MuEX aluminium frame. I think it is a good weight for a steel folding frame, since it is equivalent to that of an aluminium frame.

I was really impressed with the gold accents on this Fnhon Gust frame, as it really stands out from the black paint. This bike is not for my use, but I am helping to build it up for a friend. I think this is a really attractive 16 inch frameset!

13 comments:

  1. What is your idea for wheels. Do you have something selected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a Dahon Vector P9 and am looking to change my adjustable handlepost to a fixed version. Any specific height that I should look out for that will enable me to fold in my handlepost like the original version and where can I purchase such handlepost?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try a Fnhon 31.5 cm handlepost. Make sure the folding direction is same as your current one. Can find on Taobao.

      Delete
  3. Hi. I am also interested to build a foldie as well for 20inch.

    Thinking to get cheap alum frame with some of the following
    1. SRAM GX 10spd RD short cage(it write cater up to 36t)
    Or SRAM X7 10 spd RD med cage(cater up to 40t)"

    2. 11 to 36t 10spd cassette
    3. SRAM GX/X7 trigger shifter
    4. 406 wheelset that cater up to 10spd (100/135)

    Do you know if the rd will touch the floor if I shift to 36t ?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 406 20 inch wheels, 36T is OK. I use 40T on this wheel size before, and it barely fits.
      https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2019/09/bike-friday-had-final-assembly-and-bike.html

      Delete
    2. So do you think a short cage or medium cage would be better?
      If short cage ,would I need a additional rd extender?

      Is the one in the post long cage? Can't really tell the difference.

      Delete
    3. For a front single drivetrain, short cage already has enough chain capacity.

      Delete
    4. hi

      Think there is a worldwide shortage of RD currently.

      Can I check if it is ok to use sram nx/gx 11 speed RD and 11 speed shifter for a 10speed (11-36t) cassette?

      Would I have chaindrop easily?

      Delete
    5. 11 speed shifter cannot be used with 10 speed cassette, it will not shift properly.
      RD, shifter, cassette and chain needs to be the same number of speeds.

      Delete
  4. Hi,how is this full bike weight ? I want to build one also. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Final weight is listed at the bottom of this page.
      https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2020/05/fnhon-db11-elosix-29-cm-2-bolt.html

      Delete
  5. I suppose you wouldn't know how spreadable the rear dropouts of this frame are/were (since you no longer have it). On my Fnhon Storm I was able to spread them from 130 to 135mm, but that, being 20", has longer chainstays that this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose you wouldn't know how spreadable the chainstays on the Gust are/were, given that you no longer have the frame. I did that with my Fnhon Storm, from 130 to 135mm (but that's a 20", with longer chainstays than this 16" one).

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!