Saturday, February 18, 2023

Topeak Saw Guide and Park Tool Hack Saw

Here is a tool that I don't use often, but good to have when I actually need it. It is a saw guide and a hack saw for cutting handlebars, seat posts or steerer tubes. In fact, it can be used to cut any cylindrical material as well.

Previously I have always borrowed these tools when I needed them, but I decided to get one set for myself, when I started to build the Specialized S-Works Aethos.

The saw guide requires a bench vise to hold it in place, and I did not have one previously. Now, with my own workbench and bench vise, I can use a saw guide at home.

There are different brands of saw guides, but I eventually decided to get this Topeak Saw Guide, as it has a feature that other models do not have.

It has an interchangeable saw guide spacer, which is used to control the gap of the saw guide. This is necessary because of different materials to be cut. For aluminium or steel, a normal flat saw blade is used. However, for cutting carbon, a special wider saw blade is needed. This means a wider gap is required to guide the blade properly.

Topeak Threadless Saw Guide. The threadless probably refers to threadless steerer tubes, instead of the old threaded type.

Graphics showing the different spacers to be used for different saw blades.

The thicker spacer for carbon saw blades is attached on the outside.

After swapping the thicker 2 mm spacer in between the guides, while the thinner one is on the outside.

I'm happy with this interchangeable design, as the tool is more compact than the dual slot design by Park Tool, and definitely smaller than having 2 different saw guides.

I also needed a saw handle and carbon saw blade to complete this cutting tool set. Although any cheap saw handle from the hardware shop will do the job, I wanted to get a nicer set that looks more professional. After looking around, I could only find the Park Tool hack saw that fulfills my requirements.

Park Tool Hack Saw in blue! Check out the rubber coated handle and different blade locking mechanism.

The frame is made of cast aluminium and painted blue.

The tensioning mechanism for the saw blade is different, but I'm not sure what is the advantage. Probably looks nicer, if nothing else.

Compatible with any standard 12" hack saw blade.

Park Tool CSB-1 carbon saw blade. Note the special teeth profile for cutting carbon tubes.

With the new saw guide, hack saw and saw blade, I was able to cut the steerer tube of the Aethos fork at home easily. Here is how it should be done to ensure a clean cut.

Steerer tube of the Aethos fork cut to the required length. Note the clean cutting edge on the tube.

With this cutting tool set, it enhances the capability of my home workshop, as I can now perform more bike building and servicing tasks at home with the right tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!