Sunday, July 11, 2021

Focus Paralane: Road Bike Setup

Upon completing my Focus Paralane all-weather road bike, I felt like there were still some areas which can be optimized. Now that this is my fastest bike, it is my first choice bike for commuting, regardless of weather.

While looking at my Focus Paralane and Cervelo Aspero side by side, I realized that I can swap some of the components around to optimize either one or both bikes.

After I had built this Focus Paralane as my road bike, I realized that I didn't need the front double gearing on my Aspero for road riding. Therefore, I will be converting the Aspero to a front single drivetrain, and make it optimized for gravel riding instead. I will no longer use it to double up as both a road bike and a gravel bike, after my failed trial of having a wide range cassette with a front double Di2 system.

Focus Paralane: For road cycling (either wet or dry), with close gear steps
Cervelo Aspero: For gravel riding, wider gear steps are acceptable

One of the first component that I identified was the front single chain ring. I found that it would be preferable for me to use the relatively small 38T Wolf Tooth chain ring on the gravel bike instead, and get a slightly larger chain ring for the Focus Paralane road bike. After all, I don't need high gearing when riding on gravel with wide gravel tires.

As first tested on the Fnhon Gust, the Stone branded narrow wide chain rings from Taobao work well, and are half the price of Wolf Tooth chain rings. They also make a wide range of chain rings to fit different cranksets, and also different number of teeth.

Stone narrow wide chain ring

"Chocking" hazard, "prodoct" contains small parts. With this kind of spelling, the last 3 words are not necessary to know the place of manufacture.

40T chain ring, which is suitable for my riding style and speed.

Machined narrow wide teeth for secure chain retention.

Weighs 78 grams for a 40T chain ring, which is quite average.

Other than the chain ring, I decided to move the Dura-Ace R9100 crankset over from the Aspero to this Paralane. I think it is not ideal to use the nice-looking Dura-Ace crankset for off-road bashing on the Aspero. Let's put the Ultegra R8000 crankset on the gravel bike instead.

Besides, if I am going to be riding the Paralane frequently for commuting, I might as well use the best components that I have. My concept is that my best components should be used on the bike that I ride most frequently.

New 40T Stone chain ring on the Dura-Ace R9100 crankset. In my signature Infinity Stones colour scheme as seen on the Dahon MuSP, Fnhon DB11, and Cervelo Aspero.

Drivetrain completed, with new crankset and chain ring.


With this 40T chain ring, my gearing on the Focus Paralane is thus 34 - 98 gear inches. Slightly higher than the previous gearing of 32 - 93 gear inches. Should be good for road riding as calculated.

The road hydraulic shifters were also changed from Ultegra to Dura-Ace. I basically swapped most of the groupset from the Cervelo Aspero over to the Focus Paralane. As to what shifters the Aspero is now using, that is a story for another day.

Using the new TL-BR001/002/003 bleeding tool kit from Shimano. The adapter is now integrated with the cup.

The syringe is also much better, with a screw-on connection at one end, a well-fitting nozzle at the other end, and a clip in the middle to stop fluid flow.


A fresh set of bar tape always makes the bike feel new again!

Since my target is to optimize the Focus Paralane for road riding, I might as well go all out and put on the best road wheelset that I have. Although I already have the pretty decent RS770 wheelset, I do have an even better road wheelset, the Ascent Bikes Zenith Elite wheelset.

This high profile carbon wheelset was used in rotation on the Cervelo Aspero, to convert it between a road bike and a gravel bike. However, since the Aspero will now be used primarily as a gravel bike, I can use this Zenith Elite carbon wheelset full time on the Focus Paralane. This interchangeability is possible because all these disc brake wheelsets are using 12x100 and 12x142 mm E-thru hubs.

High profile carbon wheelset

Looks awesome in the sun!

Now it looks different, with a high profile carbon wheelset!

This carbon wheelset will be undergoing a pretty harsh test as it will be used in wet weather as well.

Usually carbon wheelsets are not used for commuting, as they are deemed to be "too good" for regular commuting. However, I want to commute fast, and I want the ride to be just like a proper road bike. Therefore I don't mind using a carbon wheelset on this Focus Paralane. Otherwise the wheelset will just be hanging on the wall instead...

Testing the new gearing by riding to the top of Jurong Hill

Lowest gear of front 40T and rear 32T is just enough for riding up the short but steep slope at Jurong Hill.

Mudguards are not that obvious, after I changed to the high profile carbon wheelset.

Also tested the gearing by riding up to Mount Faber.

It was tough for me to climb the longer slope at Mount Faber, as my low gear is not low enough. I needed one more lower gear which I didn't have.

Updated bike specifications, with the conversion to full road bike setup. Now only 7 kg without pedals or mudguards, which is on par with most high end road bikes.

I'm really pleased with the full road bike conversion, especially with the high profile Zenith Elite carbon wheelset. It is more aerodynamic, and yet also lighter than the RS770 wheelset.

The weight of 7 kg (without pedals or mudguards) is on par with most other high end disc brake road bikes. This is a far cry from my first attempt at making a drop bar commuting bike with the Avanti Inc 3. That setup weighed 10.9 kg without pedals or mudguards, a whole 3.9 kg and 55% heavier than this Focus Paralane.

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE MY NEW FAVOURITE HUMAN

    Thank you so much for all the detailed weights!! I'm currently spreadsheet building my next disc bike and getting it under 7kg with confidence has just been made a lot easier thanks to your spreadsheet!!

    Thanks :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!