Sunday, February 20, 2022

Focus Paralane: PRO Stealth Superlight Saddle, PRO PLT Stem, GRX Rear Derailleur

On the Focus Paralane all-weather road bike, I have installed a few new components recently. This was partly done during the bike fitting session at LOUE Bicycles, where some components were swapped or adjusted to optimize my pedaling efficiency on the bike.

Prior to the bike fitting session, I had already purchased a new saddle, the PRO Stealth Superlight Saddle, as I have heard many good reviews about it. I was not able to test one before buying it, so it was a leap of faith to buy a new saddle. That said, most saddles are bought without testing, unless there is already a bike with your targeted saddle for testing.

Previously I have been using the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle, which has served me well. I used it across quite a few different bikes, also in the SLR Titanium version. It is lightweight and quite comfortable as well. However, the saddle width seems to feel a little narrow, especially after I tested some slightly wider saddles recently.

These pictures were taken before the bike fitting session, where the new PRO Stealth saddle was installed onto the bike at LOUE Bicycles.

One of the many PRO Stealth saddles in the Stealth saddle family.

This is the superlight version, with a one piece carbon base, and of course the highest price tag.

142 mm wide saddles seem to be the most common nowadays. It has a claimed weight of 145 grams, more than the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow, which is just 121 grams. Still lightweight though.

The cardboard packaging has a tool to help you set your saddle position as shown. However, I am not sure how useful it is.

Here it is, the PRO Stealth Superlight saddle! Subtle decals at the top, not flashy white ones like the older Stealth saddles.

Large center cutout with carbon bridges going across. The nose is quite wide as well.

Carbon shell at the end, with the Stealth logo.

Side view, with a thin shell and low profile. Slight upward curve at the rear of the saddle.

Carbon saddle rails, with a 7 x 9 mm oval dimension.

Carbon rails are moulded right into the carbon shell! This is why it is so expensive.

Same integrated construction at the front of the saddle.

There are two threaded holes at the bottom of the saddle, which can be used to mount accessories like lights, cameras, tool kit, etc. Unless you DIY, a PRO camera bracket is needed.

Weighs 157 grams, instead of the claimed 145 grams. 8% overweight, which is unacceptable for such a high end product where weight is a key selling point.

Here is how it looks on the bike! From this angle it looks really wide.

More details on the saddle fit over at the LOUE Bicycles post, but the first impression is that it fits me well. There is better support due to the wider shape and upward curve at the rear.

Other than the saddle, the stem was also changed. Similarly, I had also purchased a new stem prior to the bike fitting, as I felt that the stem length was not quite correct.

To be fair to Timothy of LOUE Bicycles, he did not switch to the new saddle and stem just because I brought it along. Rather, he first noted that what I had on my bike wasn't quite suitable, and asked me if I brought anything to swap. What he recommended was exactly what I had brought along, both in terms of a wider saddle and also a longer stem, as shown below. Seems that I already had an intuition about what I needed to change on my bike, even before the bike fitting session.

A 90 mm version of the 80 mm PRO PLT Stem that I first used when building up the Focus Paralane.

90 mm stem installed on the bike! A slightly longer stem was recommended to get the proper reach and riding posture for road bike riding.

Looks exactly like a normal road bike, before I reinstalled the SKS mudguards.

Finally, another modification that I made was to change the rear derailleur. Previously, when I installed the Sunrace RX1 11-36T cassette on the Focus Paralane, I used a Wolf Tooth Roadlink DM adapter to extend the reach of the Dura-Ace rear derailleur. This is to allow the Dura-Ace rear derailleur (rated for max 30T sprocket) to reach the larger 36T sprocket.

It worked quite OK, but there was always a bit of problem when shifting between the smallest 12T and 11T sprockets. At this position, the guide pulley of the rear derailleur is too far away from the sprockets to produce reliable shifts. This is because the Wolf Tooth Roadlink DM basically just shifts the rear derailleur lower, allowing it to reach the larger sprockets. However, this also moves it too far away from the small sprockets, sacrificing shifting performance.

Since I have the GRX RD-RX815 rear derailleur available for use, I decided to install that on this bike. Previously it was used on the Canyon Endurace and then the Cervelo Aspero, for a 2x11 speed gravel/road hybrid drivetrain. Since I have already converted the Aspero to a dedicated front single gravel drivetrain, it uses a different rear derailleur (RD-RX817).

The GRX RD-RX815 is a rear derailleur that is designed for a maximum sprocket size of 34T, instead of 30T for the Dura-Ace rear derailleur. That means using this GRX rear derailleur on a 36T large sprocket is only slightly beyond the rated capability, which I believe it will handle with no issue. Most of all, I hope it can solve the intermittent shifting problems I faced between the 12T and 11T sprockets.

GRX RD-RX815 rear derailleur installed onto the Focus Paralane.

The GRX rear derailleur has a clutch, which can be useful for chain management, but probably not required on this road bike. It can be turned off to reduce shifting effort and thus conserve battery power.

After testing, I am pleased to find that it shifts well across all the gears, including the smallest 12T and 11T sprockets! Shifting performance restored.

The SKS mudguards look pretty stealthy, as the high profile carbon wheels helps to camouflage it.

With a new saddle, new stem and new rear derailleur (relative to this bike), the Focus Paralane has been refreshed yet again. My bikes are always evolving, as I test and swap various components, depending on my requirements (which also changes from time to time).

2 comments:

  1. my stealth superlight saddle weighs 144g. could something be wrong with your scales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be your scale as well. But might just be production variance.

      Delete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!