Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Fnhon DB11: Wheelset, Tires, Brake Rotors

Replacing the Dahon MuEX with a new disc brake folding bike is not so easy, as a new wheelset is necessary. The new wheelset needs to have disc brake compatible hubs, so that disc rotors can be mounted.

The new Fnhon DB11 will thus need a new set of wheels, since the super lightweight Kinetix Pro wheelset cannot be used any more. This new wheelset will need to have a front OLD of 100 mm, and a rear OLD of 135 mm, which is required by the Fnhon frameset. Folding bikes have not moved on to thru axles yet.

Also, the wheel size will be upsized from 406 to 451, roughly from 20" to 22". This will give it the same wheel size as the Dahon MuSP which is already using 451 wheels.

I could easily buy an off-the-shelf 451 wheelset, as how I have done previously from MyBikeShop for the blue Wheelsport wheelset of the Dahon MuSP, or the black one for the mini velos. Those wheels are pretty good and not too expensive. However, as I want to use Centerlock disc rotors, the selection of stock wheelsets becomes very limited or non-existent, as most small wheels with disc brakes come with 6 bolt hubs.

Therefore, I turned to Ascent Bikes, as they are known for making custom wheelsets and carbon framesets which are good quality and also affordable. In fact, I previously asked them to custom make a strong and durable wheelset for my Bike Friday Haul-A-Day cargo bike.

Requirements:
100/135 mm OLD hubs for quick release axles
Centerlock disc brake mounting
451 rim size
Lightweight
Black hubs, rims, spokes

I wanted the rims to be relatively wide as well, but that would add weight. Using carbon rims would save some weight, but then the carbon rims will also have a tall rim profile, which will require a long valve inner tube or a valve extender. That would add back the weight saved from a carbon rim.

Personally I don't like the appearance of a tall carbon rim in a small wheel, as it makes the wheel look like a doughnut. This effect would be even more pronounced if I am using a disc rotor that blocks out the centre area as well.

Therefore, a low profile, narrow rim was used to achieve my desired appearance and low weight.

Custom wheelset from Ascent Bikes!

Sticker on the rim showing the brand (Weinmann) and model of the rim.

I prefer the stealthy look and out goes the stickers. Looks much better isn't it?

451 rims, with internal rim width of 16 mm.

True to size, with internal rim width of 16 mm.

External rim width is 22 mm. For contrast, the Hunt gravel wheelset has an INTERNAL rim width of 24 mm.

Rim height is just 19 mm, the shortest I have ever seen.

Novatec D411 hubs which are relatively lightweight. Straight pull spokes used here.

Most importantly, it comes with Centerlock disc rotor mounting.

Novatec rear hub (D412SB-CL), also with straight pull spokes.

11 speed ready freehub body.

Front wheel weighs 567 grams, which is nothing to shout about.

Rear wheel weighs 696 grams, which is pretty lightweight.

This gives a total wheelset weight of 1263 grams (including rim tape) for this custom 451 disc brake wheelset. Not as lightweight as I wanted, but still not too bad. However, compared to the Kinetix Pro wheelset (998 grams), this new wheelset is already 265 grams more, which is a significant amount.

Moving on, I will also need new 451 sized tires. There are not many good choices for this size. If you want lightweight tires, the Schwalbe One (23-451) is lightweight, but also quite narrow and harsh. A better choice would be the wider Panaracer Minits Lite (28-451) which is more comfortable.

Panaracer Minits Lite, tried and tested on the Dahon MuSP, Wheelsport Fantasy mini velo and Java Freccia mini velo.

28 mm wide for a more comfortable ride and a lower tire pressure requirement.

Tires installed on the new wheels!

New all black 451 disc brake wheelset for the Fnhon DB11.

Next, I will need new disc brake rotors for the Fnhon DB11. As mentioned in the previous post about the brake calipers, I will use 160 mm rotors at the front and 140 mm rotors at the rear. This is partly to save weight and partly due to frame limitations.

I like the design of the new Deore XT MT800 disc brake rotors, which I have already used on the Canyon Endurace gravel wheelset. Therefore I got more of the same, just in 160 mm and 140 mm sizes. As discussed in detail during the Bike Friday Haul-A-Day build, a smaller wheel size can afford to use smaller disc brake rotors and still achieve high braking force.

MT800 rotors in 140 mm and 160 mm sizes. As you can see I'm a big fan of Centerlock disc brake rotors as they are so easy to install and remove.

160 mm rotor on the left, 140 mm rotor on the right. Both have 4 arm adaptors and just differ in size.

160 mm rotor

160 mm rotor + aluminium lock ring weighs 114 grams. Lighter than Dura-Ace RT900 rotor.

140 mm rotor

140 mm rotor + lock ring weighs just 94 grams! Super lightweight.

Front 160 mm rotor installed

Rear 140 mm rotor and cassette installed. It is the same 11-32T 11 speed cassette that I used on the Dahon MuEX, but adjusted to the correct stack height with spacers.

451 wheelset for the Fnhon DB11 ready to roll!

From this picture above, I can see that it was a good decision to use low profile rims, to maximize the area that can be seen through the spokes. This creates the impression of a lightweight wheelset instead of a bulky, high profile wheelset.

17 comments:

  1. I'm trying to do the same build as you for this. Trying to decide if I shoud do a 406 or 451 wheelset. Can I ask why you have decided to change the wheelset from 406 to 451 in this mod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose 451 to have same wheel size as my other Dahon MuSP. Easier to swap tires or inner tubes if needed.

      Delete
    2. Tks. I'm also in SG. Do you find it getting a good choice of tyres and tubes for 451 wheel over here?

      Delete
  2. Normally I use schwalbe inner tubes. For tires, the Schwalbe One is too narrow for me. I prefer the Panaracer Minits Lite 28-451. Can get from Ascent Bikes or The Bike Settlement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible to use 16" wheel in this build?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the whole geometry will be wrong as the smaller wheel means that the whole frame will be too low.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Does this mean 16" wheel needs a 16" wheel compatible frame?

      Delete
    3. Yes of course. Each frame is designed for a certain wheel size.

      Delete
  4. i chanced upon this wheel maker. their specs seems good. what's ur views? (:
    i am planning to change my wheelset for my 9-speed CRIUS master D. do u know if it is 74/130 OLD? can i use a 100 hub for the front wheel?

    https://www.lightbicycle.com/20-inch-BMX-carbon-rim-451mm-BSD-23mm-wide-35mm-deep.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used Light Bicycle rims personally, but I heard that is is quite good. You can consider the carbon wheels from Ascent Bikes as well.
      If it is disc brake, most likely the OLD is 100/135. Just measure the actual bike to be sure.

      Delete
    2. did took a look at cirrus elite. but not much response from ascent when i asked if they do customization. haha. thanks for your advice. great blog you have here. learn loads from here.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I know its off topic but i wanted to ask i can fit 451 wheelset on my Dahon SUV D6 glo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about this, the best way to find out is to bring it to a bike shop to test actual 451 wheels on the bike.

      Delete
  6. Hi Steve, I saw that you previously use a hub adapter for your 130 OLD to 135 OLD..Is this safe ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No issue for me, as this is a folding bike that doesn't go off road, while my weight of 66 kg is not on the high side.

      Delete
  7. Icic, in this case do you know where to get 451 rim WITH 74/135 OLD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This combination of OLD is not common, as you can read about here. That was why I used the adapter.
      https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2021/09/united-trifold-dream-wheelset.html

      Delete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!