Sunday, March 7, 2021

Focus Paralane: Shimano 105 R7000 4iiii Power Meter

This Focus Paralane is basically a road bike with mudguards, as I want to commute in a fast and enjoyable way, not bogged down by a slow and heavy bike. Previously I was using the Fabike C3 as my commuting bike, which was a nice bike, but not very fast as the internal hub system adds some drag.

However, as I have tested, a chain drive system would work much better. I plan to run a front single drivetrain, as 11 speeds is more than enough for commuting, especially since there are no steep slopes along the way.

I planned to use an Ultegra crankset with a Wolf Tooth chain ring on this commuting bike. While collecting the components for the Focus Paralane, I came across a good deal for a power meter. In this case, it is a 4iiii left side power meter, very similar to the one I have on my Canyon Endurace (and now on the Cervelo Aspero).

The only difference is the crank arm that is used. Instead of using a Dura-Ace R9100 crank arm, this power meter that is on offer is using the 105 R7000 crank arm. It is basically half the price, since the 105 crank arm is much cheaper. I decided to get this 105 R7000 4iiii power meter, since it was a really good deal. Do I need it? No, but it is nice to have.


What you get is the 105 R7000 left side crank arm, with the power meter on it.

I have been switching over to 165 mm crank arms on my bikes, as I find it more comfortable than the standard 170 mm crank arms.

4iiii pod glued onto the back of the 105 crank arm.

The ANT+ code and serial number is here, in case I ever need it.

Weighs 199 grams, which is just 17 grams heavier than the Dura-Ace crank arm with power meter (182 grams). Why bother with Dura-Ace when this 105 crank arm is so much cheaper and has practically the same weight?

4iiii Power Meter weight: 9 grams
105 R7000 165 mm crank arm: 190 grams
Ultegra R8000 165 mm crank arm: 189 grams
Dura-Ace R9100 165 mm crank arm: 173 grams

There is only a tiny amount of weight difference between the left side crank arms of Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105.

If you include the plastic crank arm fixing bolt, it adds 5 grams to the weight.

Since the 4iiii power meter only comes with the left side crank arm, I will still be using the Ultegra R8000 crank arm on the right side. This will give a different appearance between the drive and non-drive side.

However, I am OK with that, as both are a dark grey or black colour, so the difference is not that obvious. Beside, it is not possible to see both sides of the cranks at the same time, so it doesn't bother me. I just made sure that both sides have the same crank arm lengths of 165 mm.

This gives me another spare left side crankarm from the R8000 crankset, in addition to the previous spare left side crank arm from R9100 crankset. I wonder if the crankarm works well as a door handle?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!